Monday, April 11, 2005

Only the Nose Knows!

Nose-Shaped Pencil Sharpener

If you're like me there are some things that you love to smell. For example, the smell of grass in the springtime after it's been cut. Most people love the smell of flowers, although there are those that are allergic. The smell of paperwhites make me think of horse sweat. It's the kind, you either love or hate, just like most perfumes. You could put a blindfold on me and send in my friend who loves to wear White Sholders perfume (not my favorite) and I would know who is standing next to me. In fact, I would be able to smell her in the driveway. Also the smell of a school building and a hospital are smells that flood me with memories.  Likewise the smell of a newborn baby AFTER they have been bathed.

Remember the Saturday Night Live skit where little Mary Louise Galliger sticks her figers under her armpits and then smells them? (YUCK, but funny) She did this whenever she got nervous and she got that way often.

There are a few things that I love to smell. Are they unusual? You tell me. I love to open a fresh box of crayons and smell them. How about the smell of apples or apple pie or crisp in the fall? When I go down into the basement and reach the part that has the Christmas decorations, there's that smell. Fresh sheets that have been pulled from the dryer or dryed on the line? How about the smell of chocolate chip cookies.....now that is a "given." Oh, the smell of LUKE, the wonder dog, right after he has been groomed and comes in and struts his stuff is pretty good. When you walk into that movie theater and the smell of popcorn hits you, it's a good bet you'll want some. Just the smell of J&J baby shampoo makes me spit out some hormones. The smell of little boys who have sweat "beads" under their neck....I love that smell, although we go immeadiately to the bath.  My husband has that "look" on his face when he comes home from the office. It's the I'm tired look. He throws those dirty clothes in the hamper and changes, does he know that I am standing there talking to him just to get his smell? It's his own smell. My mind has memorized that smell. It can never be earased. Oh my gosh, don't even follow me in a bookstore. When nobody is looking, I smell the books!

I have a friend who lost her teenage daughter in a car accident because of a drunk driver. Know what? She would sneak in to her bedroom just to smell her clothing and room, knowing that it would make her cry, but also knowing it was one way she could remember.

You could take me to my mothers house and before I walk in, I will be able to smell two things. One is White Rain hairspray and the other is her fried chicken. Why do women of a certain age still use White Rain and Adorn hairspray?

Ok, time for dinner....now anybody want to smell the milk?

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

My grandmother used Jergens hand lotion...and that smell takes me right into her arms.  The scent was discontinued for a while...but now...it's BACK!!

Anonymous said...

When I was a tiny tot -- I used to love the smell of our bathroom after my mom and my two teenage sisters got getting ready for church.  Aqua-Net and perfume and all those powdery makeup smells.  

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the olfactory trip down memory lane.  My grandmothers' dresser drawers used to smell of the sachets she kept in them, usually lavendar.  Its my grandpas aftershave that I recall most, "Old Spice", and some spicy pipe tobacco he used to smoke on occasion.  I'd burn some like incense if I could remember what it was!  Coffee brewing and yeast bread baking will get me every time though.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

I bought an old can of Cashmere Bouquet talcum powder on Ebay just so I could smell my grandma again.

Anonymous said...

The smell of oranges reminds me of Christmas, I love the smell of a new car, Chanel #5 is my Mom, Old Spice is my Dad.  Coffee...oh I love the smell of fresh coffee! Patchouli oil, burning leaves in fall........the list is endless!

Anonymous said...

oh, the smell of bookstores......... I am very smell oriented and really loved this entry Anne..... made me think of all sorts of wonderful things. lots of love and hugs, judi

Anonymous said...


SPEAK BEAK!

Oh, all the mornings I woke up to the smell of Right Guard and Dial and coffee.  Always some yummy breakfast smells followed.

The nights my Mom would fix liver and onions for dinner, I'd barricade myself in my room with my head buried in pillows . . .  envisioning the rest of the family gaily munching on the most disgusting cholesterol-laden innards in the world!  I'd eye the window considering retreating to Peggy Sue's house!

I checked the milk.  NO CHUNKS! lol

Anonymous said...

The smell of lilacs always reminds me of grade school because the school yard was lined with them and in spring the smell would drift thru the halls. Pinesol reminds me of Saturday mornings at my parents when it was time to clean the floors. : )  Smells trigger such memories for me, both good and bad.
Candace

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! You stirred some memories with this one. You forgot, probably not a drinker, the smell of a newly opened can of coffee!! New car smell, in an old car, through the miracle of chemistry!! Good clean FRESH AIR, after a snowstorm!! The musty, almost sultry AIR after a rainstorm!! Thank you, thank you, thank you...you've got my mind working now!! rich

Anonymous said...

sometimes smells take me right back-I have my Mom's old books and when i open them it reminds me of her-the smell is cigarrettes and liqour but hey that was her smell and I get a sense of her when i smell it. I also love the smell of sheet or clothes hung on the line!
Great entry-you made me think of things I don't normally think of-you woke my senses!

Anonymous said...

Nothing smells better than a puppy neck.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I was almost going to say I couldn't do this one just yet, bebe'.  Then I remembered waking up in the old iron bed.

It was on the sleeping porch of the family cabin up at Lake Lure, NC.  The cabin was decorated with Santas, Red,White N' Blue flag/USA Anything, and Mammies. (I didn't get a say about the Mammie-thing) The bed was on the sleeping porch that opened to the lake, and there were Always Flannel Sheets. In the fall it smelled like fireplaces and the lake effect, and the loons would glide in over the mountains and land. Making loon noises. We'd just watch them coming in as the sun rose. Rhett's hair smelled like October sunshine.

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I love this entry, I smell white rain myself when I go in walk in my Nana's old house or just think of her, and when I walk in my Mema's house I smell coldcream, that she would put on her face at night, and spaghetti sauce, she had some italian in her.  Love your journal

Derek

http://journals.aol.com/deveil/CelebrationofMyExhistance/

Anonymous said...


I love the smell of gasoline.  Go figure.

ez2cee

Anonymous said...

ugh, I just got a whiff of sour milk the other day, so no thank you, you'll have to smell the milk yourself! LOL  

~ www.jerseygirljournal.com

Anonymous said...

Yes! The smell of fried chicken...

Was just by my mom's a short while ago. There on her bathroom vanity: ADORN!   lol She has used it forever! She's 70, and not likely to move to mousse. Nope nope!


Jimmy

Anonymous said...

(I wonder if the "comment" about the "free porn" includes some sort of "scratch n sniff"?)
Besides the smells you mentioned (I like that crayon smell, too), and all the sweet scents of summer--I, for some reason, always have liked the smell of gasoline--and diesel fumes. And dirt just as it begins to rain.
I have a bottle (almost empty) of my mother's favorite perfume; I take a sniff every now and then, just to remember her. Chanel No 5 was aunt Lori's scent; and Mama and all the aunts used Adorn!
And Christmas decorations, wherever they're stored, always have a particular scent--both from their surroundings and from themselves--but always definite--and usually nostalgic.

Anonymous said...

Smell is the fastest way to recall memory.  With scents we can relive almost anytime in our lives.  Wonderful or awful, memories are always more vivid when accompanied by a smell.
Tammy

Anonymous said...

In my house, the sweet smell of little boy sweat is turning into the 'when-was-the-last-time-you-showered' smell of preteens.  Fortunately, I still have the sweet smell of girly toddler to get me through it.  
A good sense of smell makes anyone a time traveler--
Anna
http://journals.aol.com/mombzbe/LivinlavidaMommy/

Anonymous said...

The smell of Dove soap reminds me of my grandma's bathroom.  When she died my mom gave me her dressform and I like to smell that once in a while.  Still smells just like her.  I've even hugged that dressform when I'm lonely for her.  I know, weird....... It feels just like her without the head!   Yesterday the air conditioner guys came into my office and one of them smelled just like my high school boyfriend.   Hmmmm.  I couldn't concentrate the rest of the day.    The smell of a fabric store....must be the sizing they treat the fabric with.  

I hate the smell of sweaty boys and the smell of an open bottle of penicillin almost makes me puke!  

http://journals.aol.com/baabyblueyes/raggedyanninabarbiedollworld