Friday, April 1, 2005

Medical Update on Shelly

I got to talk to Shellie yesterday. She was just moved out of I.C.U. and is in a regular room. Needless to say, I can't go into all of her medical problems, but I did want to say that she is going to make it.

She has many challenges that lay ahead of her for many months to come. I think it would be OK to say that her diagnosis is toxic shock. The most amazing thing is this: When she called in sick on that Monday, she called her husband and asked him if he could swing by the house during his lunch period and pick up the mail key to work and take it in to our work. (we only have one key and she wanted us to be able to do the mail) He did come home during lunch and that is when he found her and called for help. If she hadn't ask him to do this and if he had not agreed, I know she would NOT be with us today.

I am so very glad that she is going to make it, even if there are difficult days that lay ahead. It's time for me to think about leaving the Valley of the Sun and heading back to the Land of OZ.

Doc Holiday will be here next week for a few days and the week after that I will head back. There are people I need to see and tell them how much they mean to me.

It's a good day indeed!   

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is unbelievable!  Such an coincidence.  One of my friends ran in the 10K race in Louisville last year and when it was over told my other friend she was not feeling well. She went home and went to bed.  Her husband is with UK Athletics and was at the Regional tournament wherever it was last year.  UK lost and he decided (totally out of character and highly unusual) to fly home that night. He found her on the living room couch ....just like Shellie...and they rushed her to the hospital.  They did not know if she was going to make it. If he had not come home, even an hour or two later, he would have found her dead. Toxic shock.  I had no idea it was still around.  Miracles happen every day.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your friend is going to pull through. Toxic shock is a rough road, but it often has a happy ending.  Still praying.

Anonymous said...

I have heard TSS is on the upswing again. A scary thing that happens very, very fast! I am glad your friend is going to be OK. I should have a talk with the child about this - it is not as well known as it was for a while.

A good day indeed!!

xoox

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard about TSS in a long time.  So glad to hear Shellie is recovering.  May it be a full and complete one!

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness! You are a good person to go home early to help her. Did they ever figure out what the first infection was from?
Candace

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you, and for your friend.

Anonymous said...

Glad you have good news to share.
Peace,  Virginia

Anonymous said...

so very glad she is doing better. :):) big hugs, judi

Anonymous said...

Boy, talk about good luck. To think that her thoughtfulness ended up benefitting her as well as her co-workers. I hope she's up and about sooner than later. Wish her well for me, ok?


Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you that Shellie is improving.  It might be awhile before she is back to full-speed, but it sounds like she will make it.  Yeah!  Paulette