Monday, May 28, 2007

WILD RED BERRIES

RED BERRIES

I remember the first time I tasted raspberries.  I was all of 9 yrs of age and visiting my Grandmother, Leota Mae, at her farmhouse. I had never been on a farm before. I was a city girl. My mother and her sister had driven many miles and states before arriving at my Grandmothers house.  It was her second marriage and she and John T. had some acreage. Places to be explored in a young girls mind. 

The adult women were busy implementing dinner.  There were some wild raspberry bushes running the fence line. I was busy chasing wild barn kittens. I must say it was not an easy task. They could really scratch and run quickly.  I helped pick the strange new berrries.  After dinner my Grandmother served the berries with fresh vanilla ice cream.   OH MY goodness.............I remember it well.   These strange red berries became a flavor and a texture never to be forgotten.  

Do you remember your first taste of berries?  Blackberries, raspberries or blueberries? 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My grandparents had a farm from the time I was pretty young - I was often sent to pick raspberries and blackberries - they gave me a bucket, and honestly I ate more than I saved :). I don't ever remember NOT eating them, lol! Strawberries, too! LOVE berries!!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

The first wild berries I ever tasted were mulberries from one of my dad's pastures.  I've never liked fruit of any kind, but box turtles sure loved those mulberries!

Russ

Anonymous said...

My mother taught me about blackberries when I was about 4 yrs. old.  We were living in Montgomery, Al. and there were blackberry bushes in the giant field next to our house.  To this day the blackberry is my favorite of all berries.
Sam

Anonymous said...

My dad would plant strawberry plants in the back & tell me they naturally 'sprung up' when I was very little.  I don't remember  this but years later an old neighbor said she told me my dad planted all those plants when I was showing her my berries.  She said I said: No, Daddy says they happen & Daddy doesn't lie! ~Mary

Anonymous said...

You know.. it's sad.. but I really don't.  I probably had strawberries before anything else.. and I do remember my mother making homemade ice cream (the kind with the crank.. and, boy, am I dating myself here..lol), and throwing strawberries in right at the last minute.  Tasted great.  I'm not a big berry fan though..  I love oranges and grapes.  Those are my favorites.

Nice story...  :)  Thanks for sharing!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I remember picking blueberries for the first time around age five or six. We were on the far side of the Tobyhannah River, across the stepping stones, by Red Rock, picking tiny wild blueberries off scraggly bushes, and the taste was so sweet... I ate two for every one that went into the pail, and we still had enough for blueberry pancakes for supper. Thank you for the memory. Margo

Anonymous said...

We always had a patch of strawberries in the summer, and sometimes a few rasberries as well.  I could raid the strawberry patch on occasion, but the rasberries were a "no no" since there were fewer of them.  Equally good were the baby carrots I would uproot, wash under the hose and gobble down.  Thanks for the memories.  Paulette