Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Armadillos in Amarillo

You are seeing correctly. It isn't a picture of an armadillo. It's a picture of a doorknob. That is the size of my ankles after a 1500 mile road trip.  Today they are down to the size of a nice boiled egg. 

We made it to Amarillo, TX the first night.  Just in time for a nice dinner from Outback. It's so wonderful that you can call your order in and they will have it ready for you at curbside. Makes me wonder if it came directly from the stock yards in Amarillo. (uh oh, get that thought out of MY head)

Luke, the therapy dog that he is, made the trip with no complaints. He was a little antsy going up in elevation and they the last 100 miles. He and I both slept like a log last night. He was on barking patrol early this morning. They are replacing the curbs in my "hood" and love those early hours. The UPS man arrived also with the 3 boxes that I packed with my winter clothes and business records. The UPS men keep Luke, the wonder dog, alive with passion. He can hear the truck 2 blocks away.

   Re-entry into the land of OZ takes a few days. I have unpacked about 1/3 of what needs to be done. I have not even made it downstairs yet to check on the business bills awaiting me. Jim warned me not even to go down there for another day or two yet.  (oh joy!)

   It's warm and humid here, but there is a wonderful breeze. It was well over 100 in Arizona and no breeze, no rain and no hope of anything other than fires.  (makes me really appreciate the firemen and cops who work there, esp. in the summer, where all kinds of "fires" pop up, the brush fire, lightening strike kind and the human kind)  Tempers flare during hot weather as does the number of kids who drown in the swimming pools.  It would cool down into the 90's at night when Luke and I would go for our walk during the news. We came across one too many creatures of the night and KNEW it was time to head back to OZ instead of staying in the land of HOLY SHIT, what is that? AND don't eat that, DROP IT!

   Well, Doc is home and wanting dinner.  Guess I will have to break down, put the wine glass down and make a wonderful roast beef sandwich.

   I will be watching American Idol tonight. Mrs L. didn't respond to me. I have a bet with her that Taylor will win..........then again, I guess she doesn't like wine, unless it is the FINE Illinois wine that she spoke of many months ago.   Here's looking at YOU!    

 

  

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does it help if you soak your ankles and feet?

Molly ended up face to face during our walk today with a woodchuck. It appeared to be an adolescent maybe. Definitely not full grown. She was ignoring it! Baby saw it, and she made the beagle bugle, the call to the pack. Then the woodchuck took off. So did my shoulder.

Welcome home!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm rooting for Taylor as well, he really sang his heart out tonight.  Glad you and Luke made it home all in one piece, fat ankles and all.  I think civilized people winter in Arizona and summer on the prairie!  Take care.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

I feel better just knowing you're back here in Hooterville!!  I've missed you!  HONK

Russ

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping Taylor will win, too!  We had a reprieve in the weather today here in AZ.  Yesterday the high was only around 80, and today only 91ยบ!  Back to triple digits today, though!
~~Kath~~

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound.  The first few days are the hardest, when you get hit in the face with all that needs to be done.  Well, take your time ... the work isn't going anywhere.  Kind of ease into it, and all will be back in order soon.  Tina

Anonymous said...

Enjoy yourself. It sounds like a wonderful place. I'll keep the heat on while you are gone.

Anonymous said...

I've seen Amarillo by morning and the play "Texas" was wonderful. Paula