Tuesday, May 2, 2006

IS there a solution?

THE  following is an email that I received from a friend. I found it most interesting. Living part of the year in Arizona, I have really had my eyes opened to the ILLEGAL immigrants.  I watched as the national march on America to support their rights. BUT here's the thing, IF you are illegal, no DON'T have rights. IF you are illegal, shouldn't you take the steps to become legal? The illegals that work here, are paid under the table and for those of you that think that can't possibly happen because their empolyers would be doing something illegal, need to be enlightened! PLEASE........yes, they will collect s.s.# from them (fakes) but they don't actually turn them into the state or the federal government. They just have them in case somebody shows up and says, "YA got any illegals there BUDDY?" and the employer says, "NOPE, got their S.S. #'s right here. I even saw that living in Kansas with the roofing industry.

I'm not saying they aren't hard workers or good people, but what I am saying is all of these demonstrations would be best if it were directed at THEIR OWN government. Seems like we now have 12 million of the poorest of the poor. It's depleting our educational system, our healthcare system and the amount of drugs found in this valley is directly imported from Mexico. Traffic accidents? The trucks, vans and cars from Mexico do not have the standards we have and are know to cause accidents everyday. Why don't they take all of that energy when they raise their flag and march in thier own country to REFORM THEIR country?  Their government wouldn't stand for it. Here is an example of what would happen to us if we wanted to do business in MEXICO.


The following from a director with SW BELL in Mexico City.


I spent five years working in Mexico.


I worked under a tourist visa for three months and could legally renew it for three more months.  After that you were working illegally.  I was technically illegal for three weeks waiting on the FM3 approval.

During that six months our Mexican and US Attorneys were working to secure a permanent work visa called a FM3.  It was in addition to my US passport that I had to show each time I entered and left the country.  Barbara's was the same except hers did not permit her to work.


To apply for the FM3 I needed to submit the following notarized originals (not copies) of my:

 

1.  Birth certificates for Barbara and me.


2.  Marriage certificate.


3.  High school transcripts and proof of graduation.


4.  College transcripts for every college I attended and proof of graduation.


5.  Two letters of recommendation from supervisors I had worked for at least one year.


6.  A letter from The ST.  Louis Chief of Police indicating I had no arrest record in the US and no outstanding warrants and was "a citizen in good standing."


7.  Finally; I had to write a letter about myself that clearly stated why there was no Mexican citizen with my skills and why my skills were important to Mexico.  We called it our "I am the greatest person on earth" letter.  It was fun to write.

 

All of the above were in English that had to be translated into Spanish and be certified as legal translations and our signatures notarized.  It produced a folder about 1.5 inches thick with English on the left side and Spanish on the right.


Once they were completed Barbara and I spent about five hours accompanied by a Mexican attorney touring Mexican government office locations and being photographed and fingerprinted at least three times.  At each location (and we remember at least four locations) we were instructed on Mexican tax, labor, housing, and criminal law and that we w ere required to obey their laws or face the consequences.  We could not protest any of the government's actions or we would be committing a felony.  We paid out four thousand dollars in fees and bribes to complete the process.  When this was done we could legally bring in our household goods that were held by US customs in Loredo Texas.  This meant we rented furniture in Mexico while awaiting our goods.  There were extensive fees involved here that the company paid.


We could not buy a home and were required to rent at very high rates and under contract and compliance with Mexican law.


We were required to get a Mexican drivers license.  This was an amazing process.  The company arranged for the licensing agency to come to our headquarters location with their photography and finger print equipment and the laminating machine.  We showed our US license, were photographed and fingerprinted again and issued the license instantly after paying out a six dollar fee.  We did not take a written or driving test and never received instructions on the rules of the road.  Our only instruction was never give a policeman your license if stopped and asked.  We were instructed to hold it against the inside window away from his grasp.  If he got his hands on it you would have to pay ransom to get it back.


We then had to pay and file Mexican income tax annually using the number of our FM3 as our ID number.  The companies Mexican accountants did this for us and we just signed what they prepared.  I was about twenty legal size pages annually.


The FM 3 was good for three years and renewable for two more after paying more fees.


Leaving the country meant turning in the FM# and certifying we were leaving no debts behind and no outstanding legal affairs (warrants, tickets or liens) before our household goods were released to customs.


It was a real adventure and If any of our senators or congressmen went through it once they would have a different attitude toward Mexico.


The Mexican Government uses its vast military and police forces to keep its citizens intimidated and compliant.  They never protest at their White House or government offices but do protest daily in front of the United States Embassy.  The US embassy looks like a strongly reinforced fortress and during most protests the Mexican Military surround the block with their men standing shoulder to shoulder in full riot gear to protect the Embassy.
These protests are never shown on US or Mexican TV.  There is a large public park across the street where they do their protesting.  Anything can cause a protest such as proposed law changes in California or Texas.


Please feel free to share this with everyone who thinks we are being hard on illegal immigrants.

YES, I believe in numbers and I believe that the ecomony wasn't impacted in our area. I believe that the number of REGISTERED voters who support  immigration reform are few and far between. The question is what if that many Syarians or Iranians slipped quietly into our country illegally............would we still be this suportive? Seems like a few did slip into our country on 9/11.  This is a slower, quieter pace though..........yes, seems like we have just imported 9 to 12 million poor people.  Get ready to open up your wallets.  My heart is with the legal people who have worked hard to become a proud AMERICAN citizens. 

That's just my thought, or maybe I could just go screw myself!

 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, thanks for sharing this email Anne. Living in San Diego for many years, I have had experience with illegal immigrants. We lived in a town 10 miles out of the border and I couldn't work there because I didn't speak Spanish. I had to commute to drive somewhere where it was not a requirement to be bilingual. I say to all immigrants from whatever country "welcome" but come in legally; do the process; the paperwork, etc. You'll be glad you did. We'll be glad you did too.

betty

Anonymous said...

Well Anne, i like your thoughts   here in New Mexico we deal with illegal immigrants all the time too   somewhere we MUST draw the line on illegal immigrants   and i wonder sometimes if we're going to be required to speak Spanish eventually    i'm behind you all the way Anne~kbear

Anonymous said...

The next time a Mexican enters the US to work as a director for a huge Fortune 500 corporation, we can make valid comparisons. I hope he got all of his belongings out of LAredo OK and that all those SYRIANS stay in Syria.

Anonymous said...

While working for the circus we did a 'stand' down in Mexico City. We were there for 2 months. It took them MONTHS to get all of our paper work and stuff (and lots of bribes <g>). While in Mexico city NO ONE went out of their way to make it easy for a person speaking English. I learned enough Spanish before going down to count my money, ask how much something was, ask directions, etc. There were no signs in both languages for ME! No supplied translators for ME!  I agree that people should be allowed to come here to work if they want, BUT do it legally! Get your paper work. AND, if you really want to live here.... learn English, respect my flag, my government, and my country. If you don't like it here, go HOME! I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but I think if they really want to be here they would want to be accepted as Americans, not want to go on and on about being Mexican...

Those are just my views, and probably not popular, but hey that's one of the good things about being an American... I'm allowed to have an unpoplular opinion <g>

Anonymous said...

    Hey, Anne.  I admire you courage in writing this, because we all know that to hold this opinion is to be accused of racism.  Wrongly accused, I might add.  As a person who lives in Los Angeles, which is very much affected by this situation, and as a naturalized citizen whose parents had to wait years to enter this country, I have a  hard time with those folks who don't go through the process ( an opinion shared by most of my hispanic friends and relatives, I might add ).  I'm not saying that I don't recognize their plight, because I do:  where I live I can see dozens of illegals waiting at 'work stops' everyday, hoping to find employment.  And most days, they will spend the whole day there, and go home after finding nothing.  For anyone who hasn't observed this, it's a sad thing to see.  But my feeling is that we also have an obligation here in this country, to not take on more people than we can provide adequately for.  If things continue as they are, eventually we won't be able to care for anyone.  And I find that morally irresponsible.   Tina

Anonymous said...

I am so conflicted about this, Anne.  My spine is jelly right now because I just don't have a definite opinion.  My spouse is a LEGAL MexicanAmerican and even he doesn't know what to think.  This won't be resolved anytime soon.

Love,
Russ

Anonymous said...

"....PLEASE........yes, they will collect s.s.# from them (fakes) but they don't actually turn them into the state or the federal government....".

If that's true, why is Congress holding hearings to determine how to handle this very large bank of collected taxes that comes primarily from the earnings of illegal immigrants?  See: http://www.ssa.gov/oig/communications/testimony_speeches/03142006testimony.htm
Or, for a more concise picture, try:  http://www.ssa.gov/oig/communications/testimony_speeches/03142006testimony.htm
The Social Security Earnings Suspense File, repository for all earings reports that do not match existing Social Security numbers, totaled 520 billion (with a "b") as of 2003, and continues to grow by several billion each year.  The also pay Federal and State Income Taxes and all the other taxes, (sales, gasoline, property, telephone, utility, etc. etc.) that we all pay whenever we buy goods or services.  There may be other objections to illegal immigration, but "they don't pay taxes" is not a valid one..  


Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry.  That "more concise picture" url should have been: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/02/ss_secret_stash.html

Anonymous said...

I believe if you want to be in the USA you need to come legally. Period.  Then I think you should learn and SPEAK english.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

DEAR elleme2, I LIVE here and am very aware of how things are handled. Don't always believe your politicans.  After all is said and done, more will be said, than done.  I am not going to change your mind, so please don't think you will change mine.  YOU are the minority here.   ANNE

Anonymous said...

Hehe...I was reading this when you popped in.  What a mess...;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Anne, you are right-on.    -margo

Anonymous said...

I can't believe we haven't had lunch yet. You're not half the kook everyone says you are. When Suz gets here, I'm buying.

Anonymous said...

Works for me, but do I have to bring my passport before you two will have lunch with me? Honest, I live close to Canada but I am not Canadian. I am American. Really, eh?

xoxo

Anonymous said...

This is a well thought out piece, thank you for sharing.  I keep vacilating on the immigration issue.  I"d like to tighten the borders, stem the inward flow, but not punish those who have been here for five or more years, somehow develop a "step into citizenry" program that makes it possible to go from illegal to legal, especially when there have been children born here, marriages, etc.  But, I don't honestly know what the answer is.  Makes me glad I'm a voter and not a candidate.  Paulette