Monday, May 29, 2006

Taking a Peek into Family Secrets

Here's where I need your assistance. My husband wants to find out about his father's military discharge from the Navy. (It was dishonorable) I do not know how to go about doing this. Any suggestions? His father was born in 1912, so we figure he was in the Navy when he was 18 or 20 yrs of age.  Any help into finding out about how to find these records (free) of dishonorable discharges would be appreciated.   No telling what is in "that" vault!     Thanks!

 

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe call the local Navy office and inquire if they have their own "Hall of Records" that you can check?  I have no idea.  Unless you try and research it online.  Good luck.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I don't know where for you to start.  But I will say you will probably need his social security number and if you could come up with his miltary id (is it the same as the social security number?)

You could try calling the local Navy recrutting office and they might could help you.

Hope your husband is ready for whatever he may find out.  Isn't there anyone in the family that can tell you?

Kathy

Anonymous said...

All such military records are maintained at the National Archives Records Center in St. Louis, Mo. I believe it is known as the National Personnel Records Center. It is located on Page Blvd. If you search " Military Records" you will be able to locate the site, which will give you specific instructions, as to how to obtain records.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea Anne!  But I'm sure someone
out there does!
Hope you find what your looking for!
Love,
Connie

Anonymous said...

I am ignorant also, but will do a Good Luck dance for you and hope you will tell us the results!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Honey, Debs can find ANYTHING and ANYBODY!

xoxo,
lp

Anonymous said...

I usually love a mystery combined with a challenge -- but this might be something best left alone.  There could be things that should stay not known.  Just a feeling I have.  Ignore me.

Russ  (honk)

Anonymous said...

I thought I heard somewhere that the place in St.Louise burned down.  And a lot of records were lost.

I do know if you have his social security number or his service number you can call the branch of the military he was in and find stuff out.  Possibly find it online too.

Mrs. L  

Anonymous said...

If you have his social security number you can contact the military branch that he was in as a starting point.  Don't know if you'll need the "Freedom of Information" declaration or not.  At any rate good luck.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

Hope today's a better day, PootieHead!


xoxoxo,
lp

ps: can you do another post so I won't have to see this damn CASKET every time I drop by?  Jeeze...

Anonymous said...

Enough with the casket, OK?

Dang.


xoxoxoxo,
lp

Anonymous said...

Enough with the casket, OK?

Dang.


xoxoxoxo,
lp