Wednesday, May 3, 2006

A lesson is Reality

I'll have a Southern with a twist...........

I come from a family of broken promises, axes to grind and crosses to bear
Chocolate cake on Fridays and southern fried chicken twice a week. (fried in lard in an iron skillet) burnt sugar cake was saved for special occasions
Daddy getting drunk on Saturday and staying that way until Sunday losing his mind
Yankee pride and southern charm
Hiding from preachers who came to visit to save their souls or perhaps mine  Sunday school was a place that my aunt took me and that I loved
I come from a family that I soon learned to block out, erase and ignore and most of all NOT cry
One whose fighting was an embarrasement to me and to the neighbors  I learn to block out
I come from angry tempers, sex against your will and screaming for help in the middle of the night. I learned to block out
I come from a grandmother who had more courage in her little finger than most have in their whole body in a lifetime
I come from another grandmother who lived to be in her mid 20's and died on a cabin floor with 9 children begging for food as she slipped away
I come from men who were "sick" but adored by outsiders and feared by family
I come from lessons learned but still repeated
I come from women who married "bad" men........but I was blessed.

What I have learned is to tell the truth, pick up the sword, slay the dragons and praise GOD!

As Mosie would say, "  'Nuff said!"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a strong person you are!  
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!  You are one tough lady!  I had to read this twice to absorb it all.  WHEW!
Pam

Anonymous said...

Excellent!!!  You are a survivor.

Anonymous said...

You are living proof that regardless of our
pasts we can still come out on top!
Love you!
Connie

Anonymous said...

    This was a reminder to all of us that we can " get past our pasts" and find something better for ourselves, if we are determinded to do so.  So glad to see that you were able to do that, Anne.  It takes strength and a strong will, which you certainly have.  Good for you ....   Tina

Anonymous said...

You are so smart - you really learned not to repeat the mistake of marrying a "sick" man. It's so easy to carry on those traditions, because it's what feels 'normal.'

xoxo

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful piece Anne.  You sound like a strong woman of good character who deserves the good things that have come to you in your life.  I also know from  your writings that  you have had your share of sorrows as well.  Thank you for sharing.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

Amen, Anne!  Well said, indeed!
Sam