I love the two stories I am about to share with you. They are true and happened to my friends kids many years ago.
Mary Kay was a sweet little 4 year old girl. She lived across the street from us when my kids were little and loved to come over and visit me. My oldest was in school and my youngest was still at home. This is when I really learned how different girls are from boys. I would give her a bottle of windex, big roll of papertowels and she would spend an hour or so cleaning my big picture window. From there, she moved on to rearranging all of the shoes in all of our closets. She loved doing these things and would beg her Mom to come over and help me. I enjoyed her company and when we had lunch together she loved wiping my younger sons mouth and helping him with his drink. Mind you, she was just a year older than my little boy.
One hot summer day when she was finished, she went back home with a bag of BIG marshmallows I had given her for helping me with "the chores." I watched her walk home and open the bag. She stood there in her driveway for a long time looking and thinking. Her father had just put new blacktop on the driveway a couple of days prior and they could now use it again.
I watched her as she layed out most of the "mallows" on the driveway. She lined them up perfectly. What was this little girl doing? Was she pretending that they were shoes? I couldn't figure this one out. About 15 minutes later her Dad arrived home, driving right over the marshmallows to the back of the drivway, but outside of the garage. She ran up to her Dad and gave him a big hug and kiss as he picked her up and twrilled her around. He went on inside to greet his wife. Mary Kay then went over to the car and picked the melted marshmallows off the tires of her Dad's new car and a few left on the hot drivway and began eating them. I guess she considered them a delicacy. This happened decades ago, but it still makes me laugh today.
The next story is about a little boy who loved Batman. My friend Paula's little boy, Sam, just loved Batman. When he was around 4 or 5 he wanted to be Batman and believed he could be, if only he had a magic cape. He found the magic cape alright, in his mothers bedroom. He found her black silk nightgown and some safety pins. He attached his cape very carefully. He decided to wear this cape everywhere! He wore it at home, to preschool, to the grocery and yes, even to bed. When you spoke to Sam, you had to address him as "BATMAN" or he wouldn't acknowledge you. I found this to be very cute, but poor Paula grew tired of it. I remember her telling me, it was cute for a day or two, but this lasted 3 months. I think he would still be wearing it, if it hadn't starting schredding into pieces. She said she could take it until one day, while in the grocery, a lady was talking to Sam (Batman) and then looked at Paula, agahst, and said, "OMG, is that your nightgown?"
Imagination, don't you just love it? I need to go find a magic cape for me, but first I think I will go eat some marshmallows while I look. Anne
Tuesday, September 28, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
What a great story! Loved reading it!
Thanks for sharing!
Lovish!
Connie
I love active imaginations! May we never lose ours.
I loved these stories. They are great! xoxo
oh, I loved the stories....... the things that kids will do. Life is so precious and tender until we get all caught up in the shoulds and should nots. I have decided, for the rest of this life, to live with as much childlike innocence and wonder as I can manage on a day to day basis. Hey, I like marshmallows too, can I come over?
:):)
judi
Post a Comment