Tuesday, September 14, 2004

THE HIDING PLACE

Last summer was a heartfelt one. It's one that I don't like to remember, but is necessary that I do. I don't ever want to be in that "place" again. If I think it was bad for me, then I must remember how bad it was for my son and his children.

   My son had a psychotic breakdown last summer. It was a combination of things that precipitated it. He had been a stay a home Dad with 3 children to care for. His wife was the working bread winner. She wanted it that way. She worked a lot but when she was home, she was "unavailable."  I can't imagine the fights that incurred. I just know they were daily and awful.

   My son was taken to jail and that is where I thought he belonged. In hind sight he belonged in a hospital. His wife had moved out of his house and I had helped her get set up in her new life. I bought the beds for our Grandkids to sleep in and helped her out monetarialy.

   Something had to be done. I decided to go over to the house where my son lived and take some pictures. Perhaps if his doctors saw pictures of the house that would help them understand how sick my son is.

  I entered the house cautiously and the quietness of it was so strange. I was used to the sounds of little ones playing. It was difficult to take the pictures. Here I was standing in total chaos. There was no order, holes punched in walls, diry clothes, broken window, frames pulled loose from the doorways, no doors on the kids rooms, dogs running all over the house, everything was a mess. I now realize that it wasn't just my son, who created this mess.....his wife had her hand in it too. There are always two sides to a story.

  I went outside and the view wasn't any better there. The weeds were shoulder high and holes in the yard were so deep that you could see China. There is a wooden fence that enclosed the back yard, so the world couldn't view the mess. I was ready to leave, I had taken all of my pictures and wanted to get out of there. Suddenly, I looked down to see a lawn chair perched up against the crawl space under the house. I pulled the chair out and then saw two big sticks propping the door open. I had to bend way down to push the door in, so I could pull the sticks out. That is when I saw the toys. I saw the childrens toys under the house. This was their hiding place, under the house where nobody could find them. This is where they went when their parents would fight. This is where they went when they were scared. This is where they went when they needed a safe haven.  I cried all of that afternoon. I blamed my son for everything. How and why had all of this happened?

   When they took my son to jail, he had run down the street naked, yelling at his wife not to take the kids away. He had accused her of awful things and had pulled the mirror off of her car. He doesn't remember most of that day. He doesn't remember running down the street naked. When he got out of jail, he went into treatment. With the help of many doctors, anger managment, and medicine, his Bipolar is being managed. He has bipolar, with psychosis.The state has declared him disabled. This summer, his children are actually enjoying being with their Dad. We have always watched them since they were babies and continue to enjoy the grandkids.

   They are almost divorced now and that is a good thing. I used to blame everything on my son and now I know the truth. It was easy to blame him because he was the sick one and his wife played on our sympathies. Let me say, in caustiousness, that she has ended up getting everything she wanted. She wanted to be free, she wanted her own business, she wanted to be rid of all of us and she now has all of those things. She is free to be with her boyfriend. She is free to drink and drug. We sold her the business we had together, for a dollar. She folded the business last week. She is free at last and so are we.

   Our son is free also. He is getting so much better. He is handling the world with new resolve. We see him often now and it is good to see his progress. May God let it continue. May God watch over the grandkids when we can't and may God bless our son with a clear and hopeful mind. Mental illnes is HELL, for everybody. With Gods help we are becoming a family once again.   Signing off, Anne

  

    

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

tough entry to write. Bless all of you and the children. hugs, judi

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you had to go through all of that. Mental illness causes more havoc than most people realize unless they are around it.  xoxo

Anonymous said...

I am glad that this summer is such a contrast to last summer. Mental illness is so debilitating it is amazing how invisible it can be. Your Grandkids have been through a lot, but they have also seen how meddication and support and hard work can make a difference in a life- something many kids never get to see. Thank you for sharing this. Margo

Anonymous said...

I think that bi-polar illness is one of the hardest for the family to deal with.  I am so sorry for the kids.  It is a good thing you are always there for them.

Anonymous said...

Bless you for this.  I am so sorry your family has had to endure this, and I'm grateful that y'all have been able to come through it.  The fact that you are holding together as a family and have been able to release what left is inspiring.  Also, I can't thank you enough for your loving and supportive comments in my journal.  They mean more than I can express.

Anonymous said...

Anne,
What a heartwrenching story.  I'm so glad you
wrote this.  My ex husband suffered a mental
breakdown also, and was hospitalized for two
weeks.  Our marriage didn't survive because he
wouldn't stay on his medication.  I know how hard
this was for you to write...but when I reached the
end of the story I had a smile on my face.
Your son is doing great, and that's wonderful.
Much love,
Connie

Anonymous said...

WOW this was eye opening for me. I have a teen son that is bipolar and often wondered what he would possibly be like if he were to marry. What he may put her through. I am already going through my son's psychotic episodes and I worry more about how it affects his siblings than myself. I have gone through the motions with my mom and now him. It is tough but I am not alone in this. God is truly helping me get through. My son just recently got out of the hosptital for trying to physically knock me down my stairs. All are fine and well, and he is on a new medication. It must be something hard for people with such illnesses to comprehend or go through.

http://journals.aol.com/gotsnoluv4ya/poeticthoughtsonfitness/

Anonymous said...

Sorry...I left link to wrong journal LOL.

http://journals.aol.com/gotsnoluv4ya/Mybipolarson/