We had our 3 grandkids this weekend. Boy, am I tired! I have long accepted that they like their PaPaw better than me. Not that they don't love me, but Jim is the Grandmother you always wished you had. Yes, I said, Grandmother. Those that know us will confirm this. There isn't anything he wouldn't do for them. This is proven every weekend when they come over. He could be in a pain level of 9.5 and if one of them wanted him to play ball or paint, or go swimming, he would do it!
We usually have just one on the weekend but this weekend we had all three. We had everything planned. The boys wouldn't be over until after dinner and Jim would take them swimming and I would take Sedona, our Grandaughter, shopping. Target is our favorite store. Jim loaded up the boys in the van and headed out while I was downstairs with Sedona watching her paint. I must say her sense of color and staying in the lines, is quite good for an almost 4 yr. old. At one point she looked up at me with her big eyes and newly cut hair and said: Where is PaPaw? I told her that he had taken the boys swimming. She had gone earlier in the day and that we were going shopping. She screamed and threw herself down on the floor and started crying....." I......wa...wan....want.....Pa....Pa....PaPawwwwwwwww!!!!! " What was I to do? She has stayed with me before and I knew she was tired, but I couldn't get her to stop crying. She demanded that I take her to PaPaw right then. Here we are, two strong willed women, one almost 4 and the other almost 54 and I had to think fast. She loves to sing so I started singing in my loudest voice......
WHERE OH WHERE, ARE YOU TONIGHT?
WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME HERE, ALL ALONE?
I'VE SEARCHED THE WORLD OVER AND
I THOUGHT I'D FOUND TRUE LOVE, BUT YOU MET ANOTHER AND
PPPPPPPPPPBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBTTTTTTTTTTTTTT,
YOU WERE GONE!
For those of you that are too young to remember, that was a song featured every week on Hee Haw.....
She loved it and wanted to sing it all the way to Target. Thank God we were able to find some Hello Kitty house slippers or I would have to sing it in Target.
I hope she remembers the song. I hope she remembers us singing it. I have a feeling for an almost 4 yr. old, she will remember it for a long time...... Never really liked that song until yesterday!

5 comments:
OMG I love that song!!!! I also know that whole Mr. Rogers song.... and other unusual ditties. I am a veritable font of undersung ditties, as it were. Delightful entry! judi
That was a perfect solution to a potential disaster! xoxo
Hee Haw saves the day!! Oh, I hated that show. When I was a teen, it felt like the whole world saw Tennesseeans like characters on that show. (Roy Clark on the banjo, I could enjoy.)
You get an A+ for quick thinking!!!
Great entry!
Lovish!
Connie
It sounds like your husband is the same sort of grandpa that my husband is. The girls have him wrapped around their little fingers, and their wish is his command.
Post a Comment