Wednesday, December 7, 2005

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

If you want to make your heart feel young again, then just go to a Christmas musical program that your kids or grandkids are in.

This morning I awoke to snow, freezing weather  and a hot cup of coffee while getting ready to make it to Sedonas Christmas program. I was one of the few who couldn't contain it and found myself humming along with the music and lip syncing  "Ho Ho Ho's" in all of the appropriate places. Her class was the last class to walk in and I was sitting in the back so she walked right by me. I think she was as happy to see me as I was to see her.

Her dad (my son) had her dressed up and she was  looking good. She was wearing the dress in the above picture and wearing a Christmas tree pin that I gave her.

I was so glad I could be there for her...........nobody else came. I tell you that, not to feel sorry for her, because clearly she was a very happy little girl. I tell you that because blended families are so complex. Her mother recently married her boyfriend of 2 years. Her mother recently gave birth to her now-husbands baby. So, let me count, if I have it correctly, that would make 6 children that my X-DIL has. Do I feel sorry for her? Heck NO!!!  Do I feel sorry for my grandkids, shoot yes! They have their toys broken, money stolen and clothes taken by their new step brothers. They have moved into a bad part of town and not bothered to give us their new address.

I am happy I could be there for Sedona today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.  I hope it brings Sedona a new doll and some pink clothes!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do I think Santa has some pretty pink clothes under the tree for her? She's beautiful...and she's lucky to have you.
Candace

Anonymous said...

Good thing Sedona has grandma, I mean ChiChi, to keep an eye on things! She is so pretty!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

anne, sedona is a beautiful little girl, but then again she has your genes so how could she be anything but cute as a button?  debra

Anonymous said...

Honey, you are that child's ROCK.  I can't imagine her landing in a more perfect family.

I wish I could have seen it, I know she was THE Princess of the Whole Show!

xoxoxo,
andi, tha' littler pea

Anonymous said...

She is a beautiful little girl and lucky to have such an adoring granny.  It is difficult for the children with all the marriages that come and go, step-and half-siblings, etc.  But I think the grandparents get lost in the shuffle all too often as well, and both generations then suffer.  Paulette

Anonymous said...

Blended families do make things complicated; both my kids have "blended" somewhat (my daughter has a step-son, my son has 3 step-daughters).  When parents of the grandkids divorce, the child has to split up the holidays, so you don't always see them.  It's a helpless feeling as a grandparent to watch the kids in bad situations and not be able to do anything about it... except pray.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Anne, I so know what you mean. It's the most incredible feeling, sitting there watching children sing. It's one gift that no one can buy, no one can take away, and it is priceless. Some of the happiest moments of my life revolved around watching my children, and those of others, singing their beautiful little hearts out. Pure unadulterated joy.

My night is the 14th!

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

My biggest regret, in an otherwise good life, is never having kids, just for the reason you are talking about. I can share many things, vicariously, BUT, never that immense pride and joy of watching one of your own.

I hope you have the whitest of white Christmas's, and keep posting those adorable pics. rich

Anonymous said...

I remember fondly the school plays and chorus recitals of my girls.  And when I do I am so grateful that I was able to go and enjoy it with them.  Nothing like kids and their innocense to perk up your day!

Anonymous said...

I started smiling at Sedona's picture and was grinning by the time I was remembering some of theschool plays and concerts she was in-especially elementary school. And now my babay is with child herself! Time is short and precious. I am sorry about your grandkids' situation, though, because it is sad. Margo