CRAP Aficionado................(part1)
Living part of the year in the desert of Arizona, I have leared a few things.
I only have a 14 ft. backyard, but on the other side of the fence there is a
horsepath/trail and the Indian reservation. (insert Dixie Chicks singing
Wide Open Spaces) I don't feel so closed in and there have been times in
the past that I 'm really gald there IS a fence and gate that separates me
from a few of the wilds that roam. This simple iron fence has not kept
everything out and on occasion has kept some things, such as roaming
petites, inside.
While walking the trails with some guests once, we came upon .......let's
just call it what is was........errrrrr, shit! Having thought it was from
domestic animals, I assured them it was from a group of javelina. It
certainly wasn't horse and it certainly wasn't coyote. How do you know,
they asked? Well it took awhile, but after you have lived here for a few
years and walk the walk, you get to see them up close and personal.
I have a motion detector light that shines when something is behind my
home and on the path. This winter it kept going off and finally I decided to
go out and check what was back there. I had the dog and the big
flashlight beside me, well, Luke, the Wonder Dog, was BEHIND me
actually. At first I didn't noticed anything and then I heard Luke snort. It
was an odd snort, and come to think of it, I haven't ever heard Luke snort
and the snort was in front and to the side of me. Taking another quick
inventory, Luke (smart Wonder Dog) was behind me. OK, Anne, where is
that snort and who is snorting? That is when the motion lights and the
flashlight caught a herd of javelinas behind our home, on the horsepath.
The alpha male stood guard while the rest of the herd finished their
bathroom duties. It was fun watching them from MY side of the fence.
The babies were the first to scurry into the desert wash with the mothers
following close behind them. Did I mention that they really stink? (and
that was before their poop) Yep, that's how you can tell they are close, ya
smell 'em first. I counted 11 of them. I learned they usually roam around a
4 mile area. We have since our of brief encounters, always respecting each
other. I think the fence has a LOT of do with that, since the females have
charged other walkers when they get too close to them while the babies
are near.
I could go on and explain how I learned to identify other critters poops,
but why bother, you get my point.
The past several weeks, since the full moon actually, I have noticed
humongous owl crap. I have even spotted the owls on several ocassions.
There are other large birds out at night, circling the queen palms that
grace our subdivision. I don't know what kind they are but it's like a dance
they do and only seeing them from underneath, I can tell you they have a
pattern to their wings that look like big ole' eyes. They are NOT the ones
that have produced the bird poop, they aren't nearly as large as the owls
that I have spotted.
The bobcat inside my backyard was bodaciously beautiful. I haven't
noticed any bobcat litter boxes, though I am sure they are clean and cover
their poo.
The things that really scare me either don't poop, poop privately, or scare
the poop out of me. The western diamondback rattlesnake only shook his
tongue at me and that was enough to call the fire dept. for immediate
removal. Somebody asked, "How big was it?" Does it matter (?) was my answer,
besides, I was too busy watching the hunks, errr, I mean firemen, relocate
the snake. He is now enjoying his new home 20 feet over my backyard
fence in the wash behind my house. Looking on the bright side, I haven't
noticed any desert mice or pack rats.
The other night after enjoying our snake-free walk, Luke and I came into
our nice a/c home....Luke heading to his water bowl while I headed to the
kitchen. We were so thirsty I could hear Frankie Lane singing ...."Cool,
Clear Water." I decided to turn on the overhead light and get myself a nice
glass of cool clear water. That is when I noticed it...........I didn't have
time to do anything but pick up speed and jump on it. I could hear and
feel it crunch under my foot. Thank GOD, I was wearing close-toed shoes.
Yep, it was a scorpion. I don't know that scorpions poop, but shortly
afterwards, I did.
Stand tuned for more fun facts on poo........next chapter, "How to
identify your own shit and OWN it!"
Sing it Frakie.......
.Cool Water
All day I've faced a barren waste
Without the taste of water, cool water
Old Dan and I with throats burned dry
And souls that cry for water
Cool, clear, water
Keep a-movin, Dan, dontcha listen to him, Dan
He's a devil, not a man
He spreads the burning sand with water
Dan, can ya see that big, green tree?
Where the water's runnin' free
And it's waitin' there for me and you?

12 comments:
LOLOLOL!!! you're hilarious sounds like you have far more critters and poop than we do in New Mexico glad it ain't me....kbear
So this leaves me wondering why you would ever choose to leave "God's Country". Woman, are you mad?
Anne
A very interesting dissertation on poop and the identifying of same. It does sound like there are a lot of active critters in your area. I am doing my level best not to type the almost obligatory puns here.
Sam
The only wildlife I've seen over here on the opposite side of town are foxes, coyotes and lizards. I am blessed!
~~Kath~~
Now you know why I live in Texas. The only shit I have to deal with is from the PEOPLE.
Oh, yea. AND the horses....... Faux Cowboy
In NJ people think Javelinas are a Starbucks drink. ~ Mary
Horse poop and coyote poop look nothing alike, lol! I also get deer poop and lots and lots of beagle poop. That scorpion would have scared the poop out of me, too!
xoxo
I'd have a fit if I found a scorpion within 100 feet of my home, let alone inside it. I'm a big baby as far as spiders are concerned. Snakes, I just pick 'em up and throw 'em over the fence. (unless they are rattlers ... I'm not that daft.) And I've run off a coyote or two. But spiders ... Unh-uh. NO. Tina
Thanks for the errr, insightful and thoughful lesson. Makes me think of one of my favorite movies, "The Gods Must Be Crazy". The poor, inempt Phd was a specialst in poop. Great movie, if you haven't seen it, give it a try. Paulette
Well, this was a very informative show today :) I never heard of a javelina, so you provoked a little thought and education here at my end (I always like to know what's out there stinkin' things up!)
Oh, Anne, I have been laughing and learning at the same time. I find it actually interesting. I like the firemen, but would not like scorpions in my kitchen! Now I have to go google javalinas, so I am up to snuff here.
By the way, my brother and I used to sing that song so often my mother finally banned it from the house. I have no idea why it caught us (living in green, humid Pennsylvania) but it certainly brings back memories.
Margo
I loved this! Very good entry!
Lori
Post a Comment