Sunday, May 27, 2007

Walks With White Dog

What an animal means to me.

I would say that I own a dog, but in reality the dog owns me and that is

perfectly fine.  I have talked to people who say, "I"ve had dogs/cats but I

need my freedom now." 

I love dogs, always have, always will. I even like cats, which if you are a

dog person can be an oxymoron.  I have had a purebred dog (Shar pei)

that had monumental problems, but I stuck with her. I cooked for my dog

because I was told she had I.B.D. (inflamatory bowel disease) I think I

was the only white women who bought rice in the 20 lb. increments at

Sams Wholesale Club sold, who didn't own a Chinese restaurant. My

wonderful dog lived 3 yrs. past what the vets expected her to live,

because of my diligence. It was a good 3 yrs for both of us.

Now, I realize that Luke, The Wonder Dog, may have I.B.D.  Is this irony or

what?  I will do what it takes to have this dog live a most wonderful life. I

have only felt unconditional love through my animals. I am able to express

my sadness and my exhilaration through my animals.  I except this. Most

people are able to do this through their human relationships, but for me it

is different.  I accept this.  I honor this.  Some people live a lifetime not

able to express a single emotion............get a dog or a cat or a

bird....whatever it takes.

So my Indian name, "Walks with White Dog" stands, with pride.  Hopefully

we have many walks ahead. May he take me on many more

walks...........even if I have bad feet!  So what!   We have many more

places and things to explore.   And so it goes..................

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I relate completely.  We now have 3 dogs and 3 cats -- all rescues.  They keep us broke but I wouldn't change a thing.  They eat better than we do but I believe it helps keep them healthy.  I always had a dog growing up.  I never had a cat until a few years ago when we adopted 3 abandoned 4 wk old kittens.  What love!  I believe a lot of people are going to have a shock when they learn just how much all the animals really know.  They are all our responsibility.  Well, enough of my soapbox!  L, Linda

Anonymous said...

ditto!!!    i swear animals are much better than humans   i with you all the way!~kbear

Anonymous said...

You know me, Anne -- I can gripe and gripe about my animal kids but I'd be so lost without them.  I'm an oxyMoron myself because I love cats and dogs equally.

HONK
Russ

Anonymous said...

The name suits you perfectly. ~ Mary

Anonymous said...

Luke is one special boy :)

Anne, you know I feel the same way about my beagles. There is also a special bond that develops with an animal (human or otherwise!) that develops an illness that we have to specially care for. Their lives are literally in our hands. Molly thrives with her Addison's disease, but if I stopped her Rx, she would be gone in a matter of days.

I am cooking for my dogs now too - but by choice. I know the care of an IBD dog is very labor intensive - and worth every minute and penny!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Animals always have a way of bringing a lot into our lives. The very best pets are the ones who get the most attention. The more you give to them, the more you'll get in return. I love dogs & cats. Presently I'm a cat person. My cat Scratch was a stray whom I got in Sept., 2005 when she was three months old. She has turned out to be an incredibly good pet, much more affectionate than any cat I've ever seen. I guess you probably WERE the only white woman buying 20 lb. bagsof rice at Sam's - but it was well worth the effort!         Jon

Anonymous said...

Nothing like the love of a dog..   they love you unconditionally!   I have 3 of them... one is 60 lbs... the other is 30 and the littliest one (my chi) is only 3 lbs.  They are all spoiled rotten! lol

Jackie

Anonymous said...

You are well named, as is Luke the Wonder Dog. Animals, especially dogs, give us the purest unconditional love available.  I am glad you and Luke have each other. Margo